Monday, April 2, 2012

Naka Subasi


  "Jamma rek".
  Let me translate: the title first: hello. The answer most of the time will be Jamma rek (I’m good).

  "Nanga def ?"  "Jamma rek".  "How are you?"  "good"
  Yes, I’m starting to learn how to speak local. Which language, seeing as there are many tribes? Well, most people understand and speak Wolof, so I started with that. It’s fun and I listen carefully in order to copy the accent. No intentions of achieving a conversational level but I still wish to be able to use courteous phrases… and also that which will be useful at school like "Balalma, tegal pencil citaboul" (please, pencils on the table) or perhaps the ever-useful "Baiima tijama" (leave me in peace) addressed to the people who always harass you on the beach on in the streets. Quite efficient it must be said, as it has the advantage of being clear and courteous with regards to religion and politeness :)
  Do you want the note? Well say: "Balalma billo" simple! There are no books, but I listen and I will learn phonetically, so don’t trust writing. Alright, allow me to initiate you just in case, as this language is also spoken in Senegal:
"Naka bechek bi" – good afternoon
"Naka ngon si" – good evening
And very important "jerejef" – thank you.
"Lekabeh dafané ?" How was the food?
"dafané" Good.
  You can immediately tell who isn’t Wolof as a greeting of "Naka subasi" will not be met with the corresponding "Jamma Rek". So then, I go with the other majority language, Mandinka, and say "Essama". Yes, yes, it sort of becomes a game and when I repeat these small words every day, it starts coming naturally to me.
Now all that’s left is to tell them to speak slower and especially to articulate ☺. 

No comments:

Post a Comment