Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Allo, allo ? France is not responding !

   Work and visit other countries discovering other cultures is cool, fascinating and even if we prepare ourselves to surprises, I am not amused by the communications, or lack of them.
   One survival condition essential for me is keeping the link with the children, friends and family through either the blog, e-mails or skype. When you are told you're going to get 512 Kb you keep cool knowing it is slow but reasonable in such countries... but then you realise you share these with 140 something bedrooms there the nightmare starts. Thankfully after fews weeks of up and down, an ethernet cable crossing the building and arriving in my suite through the roof and the window, I got my own box "512 Kb" as they say, well not quite but it does work better and I am more or less able to write my blog, though I have got to pick the right time when there is more power usually early mornings.
   For skype it is quite strange as even when I cannot open a page on internet I can still write messages on Skype even have a video conversation, not often great but most times good enough.  On the other hand, calling a land line is always trouble and the conversation often is : "all. ...... ..  kay? It is ... ... .... ... great, and you ?" "well, we ... ..... ..... ...terday and..... with .... ...there". We just have to hang up!

   This phone box represents what I often encounter here : "there used to be..." and I want to reply "yes, well, why isn't there any more ?". No easy explanations that's for sure and I will not judge but "hey lad, make an effort and drop the webs for The Web" 

No comments:

Post a Comment