Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Nature has some offers

   In Juffureh, I bought a loofah and have used it several times already. You should always dampen it first unless you want a cheese-grater effect. I wanted some more and seeing as the guys go there 2 or 3 times a week, we asked Sulayman to go buy some for us. The thing is, I’ve been to the market 3 times and haven’t spotted any, which doesn’t necessarily mean that they don’t sell them.


   3 days later, Sulayman came back with a very light bag filled with … dried “cucumbers”. Taking it, I heard a noise inside. Could it be a local musical instrument ? Nope, it’s the cucurbitaceae which is eaten when still green but is removed of its skin when dry to become the loofah that we buy at high prices in beauty product shops. Here, they just go and pick them in the bush. It appears in the shape of a liana and due to the fact that there is a huge quantity of seeds in each, I went to sow some in the adjacent land which doesn’t have a use at the moment. If the birds don’t eat all the seeds, perhaps the wet season will grow loofas in “my” garden

No comments:

Post a Comment