Saturday, March 24, 2012

La Suite . . . C'est fini !

  After 2 months spent in a hotel suite, we at last got the apartment ... long story ! That one being not so fun, I got my painting hobby running that I had not done since ... last autumn in St Pierre. No woods for me though, I left the big surfaces, wood and metal to Omar who helps me in this refreshing.

   The light made me want fresh pastel colours, but wishing is not having here and getting the right colour was a challenge, the biggest though was finding a good quality paint though. What's the point having my "work of art" if it gets stained as soon as a "dirty paw" touches it ?
  I wanted some orange to give a warm feeling to the lounge. Not only did they only have 6 colours, but with the little colorant bottles, the orange looked pinkish salmony. Exit the orange ! Then, "Most certainly no emulsion" and I end up with a 10 kg pot of emulsion. Ooops ! Back to the shop for the painter boss, re-discussion and I get a new 10 kg of ... what I personally call emulsion considering it is not really washable. Well, I'll have to do with what's on the market after all. I also settled for some pink instead of orange.
  All over the hotel, lamps shades, cushions or decorative bands on the beds are made with the same nice material and considering the sofas were stained, this material seemed the perfect solution. Incredible, the craftman did the job in 2 days and it is perfectly done.


   I am not an egg shell colour person as it never looks neat. So we chose brilliant white. I wanted to add a dash of colour and as they already had some red in the hotel I went for it .... well, Omar did it on the doors (middle and top left). Arrgh ! It was horrible, violent kind of dried blood, I simply hated it ... Omar and Pascal too so we quickly recreated a pink and redid it fast. Now we have to get equipment in that beautiful kitchen as there is virtually nothing. No Téfal, nor mascarpone in the 3 shops we went to. It is one thing to go "shopping" as a holiday maker when you want shampoo or sun-cream lotion, but it is an another story when you leave here and wish for a decent frying pan that is not going to scratch after only 5 uses. I think we'll have to have a talk with the other expats to know more about what to find or not, and where. I am dreaming of my thai green curry followed by a tiramisù. Hum, it makes me hungry !

  The bedroom, well it's the room people talk about it seems as I had great fun in it and they were not used to seeing this style of paint. 
   The low tack tape was so low tack that I struggled to keep it on the wall and it was impossible to prepare it too far in advance or I'd find it on the floor, and have you ever tried to separate tangled tape ? ... good luck to you then. Not an option for me ☺.
  The pink done, I went on to the yellow then the blue. Unfortunately, after the first layer on the bedroom walls, Omar realised he would not have enough and would need to buy some more, and... yes you guessed I am sure. New pot, meant new paint. How they end up every time with a different quality, don't ask ! That one was in the end for the best as it was an even better quality, but the dosage of the coloring did not match my lines exactly so I had to start all over again Arrgh ! At last a washable paint, cautiously still !
   I also went shopping with Awa (Head housekeeper) to choose curtains that would occult any light at night. At first sight I loved it and knew immediately which one I'd take. The hotel tailors did all of it, curtains, cushions, throw, lampshade. It looks great, I just love it and I am very proud of a good job done ! Thanks guys, I spent 3 weeks having fun. 
   Now only the spare bedroom is left, and I gave it a thought and have started to have fun there too. I'll do it in my own time once or twice a week so it should be ready in a few weeks. Are you inspired by bubbles ? ;)
   Now it is about time I resume my morning walks on the beach. 6 km power walking, a pinch of yoga, a dose of pilates,a few press ups and there, I am ready for a day full of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment